Nourishing your skin in a desert environment is a year-round job. When you’re living in a place that’s bone dry like Arizona, winter skincare is all about hydration and rejuvenation, while the summer months are more about protecting your skin from the sun’s harsh UV rays.
Having only two major seasons with summer temperatures often exceeding 100°F, you may have to shake up your skincare in the name of beauty. Use these beauty tips from Colair Beauty Lounge & Med Spa for a desert environment to help keep your skin looking and feeling its best no matter the season.
What Does a Winter Skincare Routine in the Desert Look Like?
Add these must-have products to your daily self-care routine to help combat dry, dehydrated desert winter skin.
- Moisturizer – Humidity is rarely more than 50% at any time of the year in the desert, so a good winter moisturizer is essential. In winter, go for an oil-based moisturizer. Water-based moisturizers tend to be less potent and hydrating. Choose a heavier, oil-based moisturizer to restore dry winter skin.
- Face Oil – If you’re feeling extra dry in the winter, consider adding face oil into your winter skincare lineup. Facial oils are formulated with concentrated doses of skin-loving ingredients to nourish, rejuvenate, and protect the skin. If you’re worried about looking shiny during the day, use face oil at night before bed.
- SPF – Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you can skip the SPF! The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends a water-resistant, broad-spectrum sunscreen with 30 SPF or higher whenever you’re spending time outside.
What to Include in Your Summer Skincare Routine
Summer in the desert is no joke. These products will help protect and rejuvenate your skin when temperatures are scorching.
- Moisturizer – While an oil-based moisturizer is excellent for winter, it can be too heavy during the warmer months. Instead, use a water-based moisturizer to avoid looking greasy or shiny during the summer.
- Serum – If your skin is naturally more on the oily side, oiliness can increase because of excess heat and sweat. Instead of heavy-duty face oil in the summer, go for a facial serum instead. Serums are lighter and absorb into the skin quickly. Plus, there is practically a facial serum for every skin concern imaginable nowadays.
- SPF – Slather on the SPF during the summer. Most dermatologists also recommend wearing hats with large brims to help protect the face and eyes from further skin damage. Don’t forget to apply SPF to your body, either!
When looking for the above products it’s super important to remember not all beauty products are created equally. At Colair Beauty Lounge & Med Spa we have access to high-grade product lines that won’t be available to usual consumers spots like drugstores, etc.
These lines of products are vetted by our team to ensure they’re meeting our high standards and actually provide the results they claim to deliver. These products boost your treatments and other investments you’ve made in your skincare with us and because of that, we take what we offer very seriously.
Even if you have oily or acne-prone skin, don’t skimp on the SPF. Look for a lightweight sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher that helps mattify the skin and keep excess oil at bay.
Year-Round Desert Skincare
No matter what time of year it is, exfoliate your face and body around once per week, depending on your skin type. Regular exfoliation helps remove dull, dry skin, increases blood circulation, brightens and improves your skin’s appearance. Maximize your age-defying process and add a retinol to your nightly routine to keep age spots and fine lines at bay.
Want to learn more about seasonal skincare or get a consultation from an expert at Colair Beauty Lounge & Med Spa? Visit our Gilbert, Arizona location or call us at 480-912-5325.